Accident and Emergency (A&E)

Find your nearest A&E in London here.

You should go to A&E only if you or someone you’re with has a life-threatening emergency, such as:

  • loss of consciousness

  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping

  • persistent, severe chest pain

  • breathing difficulties

  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped

If you need an ambulance, call 999 at any time of day or night.

Walk-in centres and minor injury units treat most injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not life-threatening.

The walk-in centres and minor injury units across London – also known as urgent treatment centres - treat most injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not life-threatening, for example sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings.

Many of the centres are open every day 8am to 10pm and most strive to see, treat and discharge patients within two hours of arrival. Patients are treated in order of clinical need.

Find your nearest open walk-in centre or minor injury unit in the map below:

Many walk-in centres and minor injury units have a GP service and outside of the usual opening times there is an out-of-hours GP service. This ensures that people will have access to a doctor 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week. Access is by appointment only. To access the out of hours GP service, please call 111.

Remember: Hospital emergency departments are for patients requiring emergency care for serious and life-threatening conditions. Please use the emergency department services carefully so it can best support those who need it most - people with chest pain or blood loss, or who are blacking out or choking.


Teeth problems?​

Toothache, when severe, can be an awful experience, so preventing it or seeking appropriate help will clearly be a priority for anyone, and especially over the festive period.

Patients should not delay seeing a dentist when they start to get symptoms as dental problems are much better dealt with sooner before serious pain develops, so seek advice from the professionals who can help you early on. For your nearest dentist, search here.


Feeling unwell?

If you are feeling unwell, and you cannot self-care at home, please remember you can consult your pharmacist, who is a medical expert. If you are unsure if you need to access health care services, call 111 for advice.