Children and young people

If you're worried about your child's general development or wellbeing, including their health, educational or social care needs, and you think they need additional support, speak to their healthcare professional, teacher or nursery worker first.

Ask for advice on what to do next, such as getting an assessment of your child’s needs, encouraging them to join a young carers' group if they have taken on caring responsibilities or going to bereavement counselling if someone close to them has recently died.

If you or your child needs more significant support, contact the children’s services team in your local council for a needs assessment. "Children’s services" is the new term that has replaced "social services". These services support and protect vulnerable children, young people, their families and young carers.

The needs assessment will determine if you need more specialised support. Children’s services must work with you when making any decisions about your child, including what help they will provide to meet your child’s needs. Therefore, you should discuss with them the types of help that would best meet the needs of your family.

Mental health

Understanding mental health can be tricky but The Mix is here to make sure you don’t have to do it alone.

Child protection

Child protection is available to children and young people who are at risk of significant harm and need protecting.

Children with special educational needs and disabilities

Additional help is available for parents and children with special educational needs and disabilities.

Family support

Family support can include help looking after your child, such as day care for children under fives, help with parenting, practical home help, and access to a Children’s Centre.

Financial help for parent carers

You may feel that you need to give up work or decrease your hours so that you can spend more time caring for your disabled child.

How old do you have to be to drink alcohol in the UK?

Children aged under 16 may enter any part of a licensed premises as long as they are accompanied by an adult, but they cannot drink alcohol.

Looked-after children

Local authority children’s services have responsibilities under the Children Act 1989 for the children they look after and who live with foster carers or in residential care on either a short- or long-term basis.

Managing anxiety and depression in relationships

Managing mental health when meeting someone new - the early days of uncertainty and strong emotions.