Find a local dental practice in London here.

If you need urgent dental treatment, please contact your dental practice.

If you cannot speak to your dentist, call NHS 111 for help and advice.


The cost of emergency dental treatment is £19.70.


The NHS will provide any treatment that you need to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy and free of pain.Your dentist must make clear to you which treatments can be provided under the NHS and which can only be provided on a private basis so you can make an informed choice.

Speak to your dental practice to see if they have any appointments. Everyone should be able to access NHS dental services in London.


NHS dental charges

  • Emergency dental treatment - £19.70

  • Band 1 course of treatment - £19.70

  • Band 2 course of treatment - £53.90

  • Band 3 course of treatment - £233.70

Find more information on NHS dental charges here.


Under the current arrangements, your dentist has to provide you with a written treatment plan for Band 2, Band 3 or a mix of NHS and private treatments.Your treatment plan sets out the proposed dental treatment. Treatment plans are usually not given for Band 1 or urgent dental treatments, but you can ask for one if you like.

If you decide not to proceed with a certain treatment option then inform your dentist. Likewise, the dentist should inform you of any changes to the treatment plan as proposed treatment can sometimes change on further investigation or due to changes in your oral health following the initial assessment. Any changes to treatment should be discussed and agreed with you.



If you are unhappy with the NHS dental care you have received, speak or write to your dental practice first. If you're not satisfied with the way the dentist has dealt with your complaint then you can take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Where possible discuss your concerns with the dental practice first. Most issues can be resolved without you having to make a formal complaint. Try having an informal chat with your dentist or a member of staff first. A formal complaint takes time and minor issues are resolved quicker if you just speak to a person face to face, however if you are not comfortable with contacting the dental practice directly then you can contact NHS England.

For more serious cases you can also contact the General Dental Council (GDC) for advice. The GDC protects all dental patients, both private and NHS. If you're concerned that a dentist’s ability or behaviour is below standard, you can report a dental professional online on the GDC website. The GDC will investigate concerns about:

  • very poor treatment

  • not having professional indemnity insurance

  • cross-infection issues such as using dirty equipment

  • being under the influence of drink or drugs

  • fraud or theft